SPOILER ALERT! Stop if you haven’t read the book!
So I’ve finally watched Divergent and I’m not sure about my thoughts about it. I’m aware that it may be different or there’ll be changes like what “books-to-movies” are. I just finished reading the book last week and I really love everything about it. I know it’s a bit late but I still want to share my thoughts about the movie.
What i like in the movie adaptation
- The dystopian Chicago.
- The zipline. I would also like to try that zipline.
- Jai Courtney as Eric. The character fits him very well though I’m expecting more piercings.
Important Parts that were taken out
- The Visiting Day. I think it’s important because it somehow revealed some important things about Tris’ mother and about the simulation.
- Al’s “affection” to Tris.
- The scoreboard where Tris ranked number 1. The reason why Peter (with Drew and Al) tried to scare/kill her.
- The part where Edward got stabbed in the eye. This showed how cruel Peter is. (The scene was deleted)
- More of Four and Tris romance like when Four was drunk and flirty. Also their moment at the bottom of the chasm.
- Tris’ Abnegation and Dauntless tattoo.
- Will and Christina’s romance. I love these two.
Things that changed too much
- Miles Teller as Peter. Not really a change but somehow disappointing for me. I expected more of him like Jai Courtney.
- The death of Tris’ parents. Everything about it.
- Tris went to Erudite to visit Caleb and also when Jeanine talked to her.
- Shutting down the simulation. Seriously? What happened to the “techy” Four? And where the hell did the idea of Tris-injecting-simulation-to-Jeanine to shut down the simulation came from? Where is the hard drive that contains the data? I don’t know. Haha.
There’s still a lot but I only want to list all. Btw, I know I’ve mentioned that Theo James didn’t get much of my attention as Four, well, I’m wrong. I love his voice and how he talks. That’s it. The movie is okay but the changes are disappointing. I still choose to re-read the book than rewatching the movie.